Google+

Friday 10 January 2014

The White Lily

My favourite flower, and the star of my beautiful Christmas bouquet is the white lily. When first bought they were still closed, tight in their buds, but they bloomed revealing their full beauty. They have graced my dining room table for the whole of the festive period, but now the time has come to consign them to my recycling bin.  

My mum hates cut flowers for the very fact that they don't last forever, but it is this transience that makes me appreciate flowers all the more.  The fleetingness of their beauty makes it all the more precious.


flowers, bouquet, Christmas
The Lily
by William Blake

The modest Rose puts forth a thorn,
The humble sheep a threat’ning horn:
While the Lily white shall in love delight,
Nor a thorn nor a threat stain her beauty bright.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...