Google+

Monday 26 January 2015

A Burn's Night Veggie Haggis Wellington

Every Burn's Night we embrace the tradition of enjoying a haggis, tatties and neeps together (it must be the McDonald blood that courses through my family's veins!)  Being vegetarian is not an issue because I have a fabulous recipe for vegetarian Haggis packed with veggies, lentils, beans, nuts, spices and oatmeal, that is absolutely delicious.  Not a scrap of offal or a sheep's stomach in sight!

This year I decided to try something a little bit different and encase the haggis mixture inside puff pastry.  I topped the haggis with some grated Wensleydale cheese to keep it moist and cooked it at GM6 for 25 minutes.  It made a delicious change served with creamed potato, mashed swede and vegetables. It was also fabulous served cold.

Burn's Night


I still remember being in grammar school and having to learn the Robert Burn's poem "My luve is like a red, red rose".  I can still recite it to this day and my rendition of it is my Burn's Night party piece, much to my kids' amusement (especially when I recite it with an attempted Scottish lilt!)

I really enjoy celebrating special days throughout the year and serving up themed meals for my family's dinner.   It makes me more mindful of the passing days and punctuates the year with plenty of memorable family occasions.  It's all done light heartedly with plenty of laughter and fun, but it still lets the kids learn about special events, other cultures and different cuisines.

I'm looking forward to sharing plenty more recipes and family occasions right here on my blog throughout 2015.



LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...